Re: [CQ-Contest] Router Recommendation?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com, <k9yc@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Router Recommendation?
From: Timothy Coker via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 19:03:20 +0000 (UTC)
I've got Charter Cable and an Asus AC-1900 router. I've having a similar
problem Scott. Anything over X power and on Y frequency on 160m causes the
modem to stall. I had Charter send out a new tech who I had a nice conversation
with about what was happening. He installed new cable with me from my box as he
was able to justify their expense considering his tested signal strengths.

That helped...
I replaced all network cables in my house with Cat 7 which helped some too.
Installing type 31 beads on the network cables and RG6 helped some. I only had
one type 31 toroid on hand (ordering more for many other uses too) and that
went on the modem's power cable with tons of turns.
What I've found is the following:
With my tower only 40' from my router/modem and the 160m inverted-L horizontal
run passing directly overhead some 20' above... I can run nearly legal limit at
1.825 mhz without issue, but I can only run X hundreds of watts on as the
frequency goes up (starting around 1.835) before the modem stalls.
I need to call again to get a new modem as they asked I try out their new cable
install for a while.
I'll also order more type 31 toroids and longer Cat7 cables to make numerous
turns as per Jim's cookbook after that if I still am having similar problems.

Tim / N6WIN

    On Thursday, August 23, 2018, 11:53:51 AM PDT, Jim Brown