Re: [CQ-Contest] FT discussions

To: Dave Wright <k3dcw@fastmail.com>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT discussions
From: Edward Sawyer <EdwardS@sbelectronics.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 10:53:44 -0400
Dave, A well constructed statement although since the human ear cannot be
constrained to 6hz bandwidth, to my knowledge, the fact that a system can
detect it in such conditions, doesn't make it "audible".  Any more than we can
hear a 20khz dog whistle - also inaudible.

So, like it or not, the system is "detecting" inaudible signals.

Time will tell whether the contesting community tolerates the downside of FT
(x) vs the advantages of such low level signal detection.

The FT4 attempt is already pulling 10db off of that advantage to attempt a
functional system for contesting and it still didn't get rave reviews from the
little I saw.

FT8 has seriously sent a ripple through the DXing pond as people take the easy
route to get on bands and honestly I think give some people a way to play that
apparently didn't really enjoy playing.

I think FT4 is going to suck the air out of the room (already seems to have) in
the VHF contesting game and will do so in the digital contesting game if its
allowed to.  Not because its so much better for contesting but because a hoard
of people have decided to do it at the expense of other modes.

73

Ed  N1UR