Re: [CQ-Contest] Elecraft KPA 1500 vs.OM 2000A

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Elecraft KPA 1500 vs.OM 2000A
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 00:32:09 -0800
Hi Bill,

I've owned a KPA1500 since early July. It's NOT auto-tune like an 87A, but it can memorize multiple trained settings for each output. This makes it more or less equivalent to the 87A IF we've done our homework to train it. The internal tuner makes it FAR superior to the 87A output network.

The fan on the KPA1500 RF deck is a SCREAMING PIG with high duty cycles, like long WSJT-X operation and RTTY when you've worked out the band. It's replaced one of my 87As. I have no experience with OM amps.

I'm happy with my 87As, but they don't do 6M, which has been important to me for several years, and KPA1500 gives me about 4 dB over the KPA500.

73, Jim K9YC