Re: [CQ-Contest] Elecraft KPA 1500 vs.OM 2000A

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Elecraft KPA 1500 vs.OM 2000A
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2020 23:14:14 -0500
Bill,

I know a little about the KPA1500 since K4BAI bought one this past summer. His worked fine until about a week ago when it started putting out 1/2 power - around 700 watts. I posted a message on the Elecraft reflector and this has happened to others. Apparently one of the power transistors might be blown. I'm a little puzzled by this because I though the protection circuit should prevent this from happening. Anyway he is going to have to send it the Elecraft for repair. Luckily it's still under warranty.  I've also heard some people complain that the fan noise from the outboard power supply is loud.

I've also used an OM 2000A from both WW4LL and at the remote station at PJ4G in Bonaire. It seems to be a good amp and we've haven't had any problems with it.

Jeff