[CQ-Contest] Musings on amateur radio contesting

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Musings on amateur radio contesting
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 12:01:20 -0700

This is kind of an extension of the other comments I just posted on FTx and contesting ...

We are all conditioned to think in terms of what has been and what we have, and we often unnecessarily constrain ourselves accordingly.  I'm 73 years old and I've read countless admonishments for decades expressing the need to bring more young people into the hobby, yet we don't really do anything different to accomplish that.  We don't have to destroy the hobby to change it, but our demographics are not going to improve without some degree of change.

Here are some areas where I think we are being mentally hidebound:

1.  Pure rate doesn't have to be king.  A contest where the top score involves 100 contacts could be just as engaging as a contest where the top score is 5,000 contacts.  It all depends up what kind of activity is needed to generate those contacts.  A contest format that requires me to be constantly and intensively involved in order to end up with 100 contacts should be just as rewarding, and potentially more interesting, than one that requires me to do the same thing over and over again at a high rate the entire time.

2.  FTx is just a really effective weak signal encoding/decoding scheme, but WSJT-X as an implementation has convinced everyone that FTx is operationally rigid, too automated, and devoid of differentiating skill.  I guarantee that does not need to be the case.

3.   For some reason we seem to think that a computer is OK for logging, band maps, and transmit macros, but not much else.  Why can't some colorful graphics be involved that are actually part of the competitive process of chasing contacts and optimizing scores? Gaming tends to have a bad name in these circles because it is alien to many and because it is an alternate activity for youngsters versus radiosport, but I fail to see why elements of gaming can't be included in radio contesting.  Again, it is only mental inertia disguised as "tradition" that keeps us from thinking more broadly ... and more enticingly to new blood.

For what it may be worth ...

73,
Dave   AB7E