Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: Contest within a contest

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: Contest within a contest
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 13:51:00 -0700
On 3/18/2020 9:57 AM, Denis Pochuev K7GK wrote:
Yes, I certainly agree with this. Auroral path characteristics should be an
essential part of any scoring scheme, which attempts to address lack of
fairness of the current system. The only feasible approach to this interesting
challenge that I see so far is using statistical data, perhaps from the open
logs, to characterize prevalence of contacts between different areas. The
number of contacts between areas divided by their contesting populations might
serve as a proxy for the difficulty of the contact.

Agreed. NI6T first alerted to the significance of the auroral path when working EU. Propagation is generally much better for paths that traverse less of the auroral zone. He noted the significant difference, for example, between NorCal and SoCal/AZ.

I have previously suggested contest scoring normalized to a regional handicap, similar to what has been used for some WRTC qualifications. In such a system, contest winners would be those performing best relative to their geographic peers.

Such a system could greatly increase participation from outside the Atlantic basin, especially with distance-based points/QSO, making contests much more fun.

73, Jim K9YC