Re: [CQ-Contest] Key Clicks

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Key Clicks
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 14:01:43 -0700
On 6/4/2020 10:43 AM, Jim McCook wrote:
Many of those new radios have adjustable CW rise time.The manufacturer’s default setting with many of them is 4ms or lower!This means this radio is highly likely to be a key click generator!That setting should be at least 6ms and preferable 8ms to avoid clicks.My suggestion is to use Email to make friendly, non aggressive contact and explain the problem, offering help to ID and test after a fix is utilized.Sometimes there is a mod that can be installed to stop the clicks.People should be made aware of that when necessary.

I strongly agree, Jim, and I extensively explored this issue about five years ago, with support from ARRL Labs.

http://k9yc.com/TXNoise.pdf
http://k9yc.com/K6XXAmpTalk.pdf
http://k9yc.com/P3_Spectrum_Measurements.pdf

And yes, variable keying rise times are a recipe for clicks. I wrote then that the slowest possible rise times should ALWAYS be used, and that ideally, the keying waveform should instead be carefully shaped to minimize clicks and maximize signal readability. Elecraft was the first to do this in their original K3. The first Flex 6000-series radios did not, and were pretty broad, but they subsequently issued new firmware/software that cleaned them up a LOT. I suspect they may be as clean as Elecraft, but I can't get one to measure to confirm that. Even at their best (slowest) settings, ICOM and Yaesu aren't even close to Elecraft and Flex 6000-series.

Last I looked, the bad guys in this race are Yaesu and ICOM. And low-to-moderate cost Yaesu radios have terrible spatter on SSB. W4TV has looked at this, and says that it's related to how they do AGC. The FTDX5000 I measured for the report above was very clean on SSB, but it was their flagship radio (expensive).

73, Jim K9YC