Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX CW Signal Quality Concerns

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX CW Signal Quality Concerns
From: Richard Smith <n6kt1@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2020 21:41:36 +0000 (UTC)
 Can I make a suggestion or two for handling Key Click issues?
 1) Send a friendly email to the station that was producing Key Clicks. This
email should be written in a helpful, non-threatening or -accusatory tone. "I
(heard)(worked) you in the contest on _______________, and noticed that your
transmitter had 'key clicks'". Include something like "I've had key clicks in
the past too, and I was happy to get rid of them." or "Even very experienced
Hams can accidently mis-adjust a radio, and have key clicks."Include a link to
a "Repository" of Key Click fixes.(This means that we will need to set up a
Repository of Key Click fixes, with a single link to the Repository. It would
probably start small and grow over time. It should be an easy-to-use place with
links, articles, screen shots, etc. We would want it to be usable for newer
Hams and Hams that are not super-technical.)In the email, state that if the
station cannot find the information he needs in the "Repository", then email
back with his radio information.End with something like "I look forward to
working you in future contests."

2) An example of what a Repository might look like:
"KEY CLICK ELIMINATION CENTER OF EXCELLENCE"
*link to an article about key clicks in general**link to another article about
key clicks in general*
*link to an article about key clicks being caused by issues between rigs and
amps*

Kenwood TS590*link to TS590 key click mod article**screenshot of a paragraph of
the TS590 manual explaining how to change the CW rise time*
Kenwood TS2000*link to TS2000 key click mod article**screenshot of a paragraph
of the TS2000 manual explaining how to change the CW rise time*
FT1000*link to FT1000 key click mod article**screenshot of a paragraph of the
FT1000 manual explaining how to change the CW rise time*
etc., etc.
Kenwood's Technical Assistance Telephone Number and email addressYaesu's
Technical Assistance Telephone Number and email address
Elecraft's Technical Assistance Telephone Number and email address

etc., etc.

3) Paul, EI5DI, had a suggestion that seems very good to me. When you spot a
station, add a comment like "severe key clicks" if it applies. If a station has
this same comment posted from many stations around the world, it would not be
easy for him to shrug it off by thinking that the comment was due to an
incorrectly adjusted receiver.
Sorry for the length of this email...
73, Rich, N6KT