Re: [CQ-Contest] Zero Beat packet pileups-a solution ! QZB

To: Mike Smith VE9AA <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>, cq-contest@contesting.com, ku8e@ku8e.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Zero Beat packet pileups-a solution ! QZB
From: ku8e <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2020 18:13:45 -0500
Mike,I personally experienced what you described this weekend.  I got on the
air remotely on Saturday night as PJ4/KU8E after PJ4A (K4BAI) was finished for
the day on 15 meters. I purposely went high in the band on a clear spot on
7080. I was immediately greeted with a large unruly pileup of stations that
would continually call even if I didn't come back to them. The worse offenders
are the large Eastern European contest stations. Plus I was only running 100
watts. The antenna at PJ4 is a yagi on a 90 foot tower on one of the highest
hilltops on Bonaire. Just imagine how bad it might've been if I decided to turn
on the amplifier? Stan, K5GO described the exact scenario on his 3830 post when
operating from ZF5T. He made the comment that maybe he would've been better off
running 25 watts instead of a KW. I'm an experienced contester that's use to
this behavior and I would totally understand if a new contester in a rare
location would just turn off the radio if they experienced this.  As someone
who has operated from the Caribbean a lot my advice is when you call someone
that has a big pileup never call then zero beat on their frequency. Call either
high or low and you will increase your chances of getting thru.JeffSent from my
Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Mike Smith VE9AA <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: 12/1/20  5:36 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: cq-contest@contesting.com Subject:
[CQ-Contest] Zero Beat packet pileups-a solution ! QZB A relatively new
phenomenon has emerged more prevalently in contesting on CWin the last few
years.  I think in part to the RBN (which I am not knocking, as I benefit from
itjust like the rest of my CW brethren),. Namely, small 'packet pileups' ALL
ZERO beat on your running frequency.click click click. So, the N1MMLoggerPlus
Dev team recognized this a couple years ago and nowhas an option to randomly
offset spots when "clicking on spots". Awesome.Smart guys, that crew. Not
everyone who runs N1MM uses this feature however. I don't know if other loggers
do this, but maybe or maybe in the future? For those that don't know to keep
tweaking their XIT around or to randomizespots in N1MMLoggerPlusI propose a new
Q signal used only in contesting, namely "QZB" which canmean anything from,
"please don't zero beat me like the other 10 guyscalling" or "turn on your XIT
please" or anything to that effect. I know there are guys out there that can do
5000-10000 Q's per weekend andnot be bothered with a zero beat pileup, but for
us mere mortals not in arare location with the benefit of always having MANY
callers, (some louder,some keen to the ways of the XIT control) then we need
another way toinstruct the (smallish) pileup that it sounds like one tone.  I
tried ?, Itried AGN, I even tried "XIT" once.and lo and behold it
actuallyworked---once.  Maybe I got lucky with a guy that just wandered by
orsomeone who knew what it was.  I dunno. I tried everything I could think of,
and nothing really worked.  Always thesame solid tone.  More callers always
solved the problem, but a VE9 is notexactly rare in CQWW, thus the issue.  I am
sure every CDN,  USA and a lotof EU stations were in the same boat, save the
Zone 2 lads..they're prettyrare. I was so relieved when a superstation called
in, overpowering the pileup, orothers joined in and we'd get those folks that
would know to call 40Hz high(or low) and then I could work them and move on.
So, QZB..remember it, use it..(free of charge of course).now we have toalert
CQ, ARRL, WAE, RDX, NAQP to this new Q-code.  Who will get the wordout? No,
it's not April 1rst ! CU (all of a sudden) in the next one ;-D Mike VE9AA
"5"...or "NB"   Mike, Coreen & CoreyKeswick Ridge, NB