Re: [CQ-Contest] The 2021 Unassisted Challenge

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The 2021 Unassisted Challenge
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2021 13:51:34 -0700
On 3/16/2021 4:38 PM, AB1J via CQ-Contest wrote:
I'm curious how the rules favor the East Coast contingent.  I know it's the
favorable NA location for international contests (along with the Caribbean) due to
geography and propagation, but what rules favor it?
What are some of your rejected suggestions?

The problem with contests like CQWW and ARRL DX is that there are FAR more multipliers available to those in the Atlantic basin. There's also the issue of population density within range of decent propagation.

WPX solves the problem with the distribution of mults, but doesn't help with population density vs propagation. Distance-based scoring is another solution that also fails to address population vs propagation. I've suggested contest scoring based on a handicap relative to others in the same ARRL or RAC section, or country for smaller ones.

73, Jim K9YC