Re: [CQ-Contest] IC-7300 VS IC-7410

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] IC-7300 VS IC-7410
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 12:54:11 -0700
On 3/31/2021 8:30 AM, Joe wrote:
So am I to think correctly in a Field Day setting would the 7300 be the better radio?

Rob Sherwood's work has focused on RX. Here's a summary and analysis I did about 5 years ago of ARRL Lab tests of selected rigs, including those that had been used in the recent WRTC. For two or more stations on the same band (CW, SSB, FT4/8), the major issue is phase noise.

http://k9yc.com/TXNoise.pdf

The Elecraft K3 and K3S are, by far, the cleanest rigs and the best able to stand up to strong signals. It's my understanding that the current generation of Flex rigs are pretty clean on TX, but MAY have issues on RX in a multi-TX environment. They're working very well in multi-TX contesting, but these stations usually have BPFs in front of them. I haven't seen any feedback on how their RX would hold up with another TX on the same band. The limitation is the dynamic range of their A/D.

If I were looking for a mid-priced contesting rig, my first choice would be a used K3 or K3S.

73, Jim K9YC