Re: [CQ-Contest] Funny/strange things heard in 'WPX

To: N4ZR <n4zr@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Funny/strange things heard in 'WPX
From: David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 20:50:03 -0400
Sometimes a simple concept isn't as simple as it appears. The WPX contest
rule says
"A station operating from a DXCC entity different from that indicated by
its call sign is
required to sign portable."

But what if its call sign does not indicate a DXCC entity? It may not occur
to everyone
upon first reading that there is a category of call signs that do not
indicate DXCC entity,
and that therefore those stations are not required to sign portable.

UN and UN agency stations are examples. The call signs for these stations
do not indicate
DXCC entity.  I have worked "4U" in seven different DXCC entities on
three continents: USA
& UN (North America); Austria, Switzerland, ITU & Italy (Europe); and
Syria (Asia).
C7 and 4Y,
authorized by the ITU for specific UN agencies, have similar status.

Of course, in WPX contests, the common "4U1" only counts once as a
multiplier.  Often
there have been multiple "4U1" stations operating from different countries
during a single
WPX contest weekend. In the 2018 WPX, for example, 4U1A, 4U1ITU & 4U1WB,
located in
three different DXCC entities on two continents, all were active.

So rules can be difficult to write. Common sense goes a long way, and
interpretations and FAQs
are helpful.

73,  Dave K3ZJ