Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and the FT8 Revolution

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and the FT8 Revolution
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 10:40:25 -0700
On 6/19/2021 8:24 AM, José Nunes CT1BOH wrote:
** The spotting revolution

** The marginal bands revolution

Yes indeed, the PSKReporter spotting system is an excellent way to study propagation. I've used it extensively on 6M for this purpose, AND to chase QSOs with stations in grids I want to work.

With FT8, marginal bands like 160, 10 and 6 meters become alive like no
other. Going deeper into the SNR, “opens” new circuits, brings more
activity, confirms these circuits were always there. We are working Japan
on 6 meters on a daily basis... Also, there is a move from CW into FT8 on
these band. This is a side effect, but it is what it is. If people suddenly
find a band open at -21dB that before was close at -15dB, of course they
will use the mode that enables those QSOs and will not use the other mode
anymore.

I've been using the modes developed by K1JT and his team extensively for nearly ten years, almost exclusively on 160M during the winter to fill in EU countries from my QTH near San Francisco, and on 6M to chase grids during the summer e-skip season. I'll use FT8 to work expeditions on HF, but I have yet to get bitten by the bug to use it during contests.

My engineering judgement is that FT8 is able to work about 10 dB deeper into the noise than CW with great operators on both ends of the QSO. I STRONGLY encourage 160M operators to use the newer and even more powerful FST4, which provides an additional 4-9 dB advantage, depending on the transmission period.

For those who consider these modes "not real ham radio, computers talking to each other," I know no one who can send or decode RTTY using only their ears, and the computer did not learn CW, radio and electronics, nor did it build my station, including my extensive antenna farm over 15 years.

73, Jim K9YC