[CQ-Contest] Rigs, & Filters, at Field Day

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Rigs, & Filters, at Field Day
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 09:00:07 -0500
Our Field Day effort turned from a planned on being a super competitive 5A effort, Where we would try to optimize everything from the Rigs used to placement of antennas and stations.

But a month before FD all good plans go to wherever, and just a week ago it looked like we were not to have any type of Field Day at all.  But a group of four pulled it out from the dead heap and salvaged it for us.  But things were very very different from any other FD we have ever done before.

For one we typically would space the stations apart as far as possible and still be legal.

Not this year, this year all three stations operated from the back of a "Straight Truck"
https://www.truck-n-trailer.com/wp-content/uploads/straight-truck-1-sm.jpg

So it was more like a M/M in someones Basement. The stations were literally less than 2 yards apart from each other.

And the antennas were not a lot better a 40 Meter OCFD,  a Fan 80-10 fan dipole,, and a small wolf river coil setup.

All also very close to each other even crossing over each other at one point!

Many here probably remember a discussion  had here about best radios for FD and what to avoid.
And here many many said to avoid the IC-7300 because of it's Phase noise.

Sadly for this group that was not an Option, so we had 2 of the 7300's and a Yaesu FT-891.

Now in past years we had several 7300's and really wasn't a problem, but again stations were as far apart and antennas as legal would allow.
But not this year.

The club from past years have collected a complete set of these filters 80 thru 10
https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/lbs-pb-f200-7

And in the past they seemed to help.  But this year WOW!!! if it was not for them, I don't think we could have done anything other than a 1A operation.

20, and 15 were up and running at the start of the contest. one 7300 on 20 and the yeasu on 15, both already had their respective filters in-line.

Then the other 7300 was ready to start up on 40 meters, but forgot about the filter. WOW!!! Just keying the PTT and a white noise has would totally wipe out 20 and 15 stations, completely Gone> I never looked at the S meter, but it was extremely strong. So strong it was impossible for them to hear any signals.

We gave him the 40 filter, all thinking we hope it helps or we are screwed.

I could not imagine the difference!!!! There was zero trace of any interference now even when he was running full power! NOTHING!!!!

Those filters are amazing!!!

Joe WB9SBD