Re: [CQ-Contest] calculating CW duty cycle

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] calculating CW duty cycle
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 21:47:28 -0400
I would guess that running a pileup your CW duty cycle would be closer to
25%.  What is the antenna and why is the power level so questionable?  FWIW,
I have never had an issue setting up a Yagi, dipole or beach mounted
vertical from a Caribbean villa.

John KK9A

AB2E wrote:

The consensus is that even with the variables, the duty cycle will not
likely be over 50% at my regular contest speed of 30-35wpm.
The reason for my question is that I am evaluating a portable antenna that
claims a 50% duty cycle at 800W,
but drops to 25% duty cycle for CW at 1500W. It appears I should be OK
operating around 600-700W safely with the 50% duty cycle.
This would be used on an island dxpedition where putting up regular (proper)
antennas would not be possible, probably from a villa.

73 and thanks again for taking the time to answer,
Darrell AB2E