Re: [CQ-Contest] Run rate vs. S&P rate RTTY Roundup

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Run rate vs. S&P rate RTTY Roundup
From: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 19:50:45 -0500
KK9A knows a lot more than I do, but I don't think "poor antenna" is the
main factor in this case.  Lots of us get by with poor antennas.  I run
100W to a 200-ft-long dipole, and I can run IF I pick my band correctly.
(Of course, I'm talking about CW and some SSB; I don't do RTTY.)

You have to be on the band where you are (relatively) loud in the
high-density areas.  In the US (and Canada), that means the eastern third
of the country, particularly the northern part of that third.  Your QSO
volume is in W1, W2, VE3, W3, W4, W8, W9 and some W0.

As an East Coaster with a modest antenna, you can run in those areas with a
modest signal.  You mostly cannot Europe (or Japan).  You cannot run much
W6 or W7 -- they have an advantage in population balance.

So, why was Barry not having much luck running, even though he was, to some
extent, "fresh meat"?

40M Saturday night -- could 40M have already "gone long"? Was his modest
signal hitting areas of low population?  (A relevant story:  Many years ago
in a PVRC On-the-aAr Reunion, W3ZZ(SK) did an aeronautical mobile rover
with another op whose call I have forgotten.  Gene reported that I was the
loudest signal on the band... 2,000 feet over Missouri.  Not a lot of QSOs
there.)

20M at the end of the contest -- same question: where were you loud?
Another factor might be that most participants had QRT by then.

MAYBE in each period 80M would have worked better.  I don't know.  Again, I
don't do RTTY, but my "something to think about" suggestions above are
based on a lot of experience in SS with 100W and a dipole.

I hope to be QRV Saturday night in NAQP SSB, where I can test my theories
again.  I hope to work many of you,and I hope I'll be loud enough that you
can figure out what name I'm using.

73, Art K3KU