Re: [CQ-Contest] Run rate vs. S&P rate RTTY Roundup

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Run rate vs. S&P rate RTTY Roundup
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 23:16:25 -0800
On 1/19/2023 4:50 PM, Art Boyars wrote:
KK9A knows a lot more than I do, but I don't think "poor antenna" is the
main factor in this case.  Lots of us get by with poor antennas.  I run
100W to a 200-ft-long dipole, and I can run IF I pick my band correctly.
(Of course, I'm talking about CW and some SSB; I don't do RTTY.)

Yes, KK9A does know a lot more than you do. A resonant half-wave dipole antenna is a very good match on odd harmonics and presents a VERY high impedance a terrible match on even harmonics. A decent tuner can match your 200 ft-long dipole on bands where it is NOT a very high impedance.

I agree that propagation could have been at play. By the end of RTTY RU, 20M might not have been jumping between W6 and W2, and 40M certainly does sometimes go long.

73, Jim K9YC