[ct-user] COM port for CW Keying problem

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] COM port for CW Keying problem
From: Ron Stordahl" <ron.stordahl@digikey.com (Ron Stordahl)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 13:46:25 -0500
I have used the LPT2 port for CW keying - it works fine.  However you are
supposed to be able to use a COM port for CW keying
simultaneously with radio control.  My ICOM 781 uses the CT-17 and only a few
pins on the COM port are used (as I recall just 2,3
and 7)  leaving DTR (20)  available for CW keying.

It works, but it has this annoying problem:

After starting fresh, rebooting the computer, DTR (pin 20) on the COM2 port,
the one I am using for radio control and CW keying, is
false, i.e. negative.  When starting CT it is asserted, thus keying the
transmitter (key down).  Actually its not CT, its the
starting of COMTSR2 that asserts DTR.  Only after reaching the operating mode
in which you can send something using for example F1
is the key down removed, after which it works fine.

I have tried the various start options in COMTSR,  none correct this problem.

Clearly COMTSR could be enhanced with a start option to resolve this, but
lacking that does anyone have a solution other than to put
a toggle switch in the key line and activate it only after start up has been
completed.

Ron N5IN

N5IN@digikey.com