[ct-user] CT automation with two radios

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT automation with two radios
From: Gary Yantis <gyantis@midtec.com> (Gary Yantis)
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 08:58:47 -0600
John --
After looking at how complex and sometimes limiting a two radio/one
computer setup could be I decided to use two separate computers and network
them together.   Works better for a "single brain" operator like me.   I
envy those that are able to remember to switch back and forth using one
computer.   With my setup I have the left radio set up with a keyboard and
monitor also on the left.   The right radio has the other monitor and
keyboard next to it.   I use MFJ voice keyers and N3JT CW interfaces on
both.   A bit more expensive than a single computer set up but worth it as
far as I'm concerned.   With CT being DOS an old 286 computer will work OK
so a second computer can be added for not a lot of money.

Left hand -- left radio //  Right hand -- right radio.   Simple, so I can
handle that!   I set CT for multi-single (so the networking works) then
change it back to single-op after the end of the contest before doing the
logs.   Another advantage of separate computers and monitors is that they
each display information like zones, prefixes, etc. for its radio -- no
switching back and forth.   Also, on the multiplier radio I can  type a
call sign on that keyboard while typing in a exchange on the run radio.   I
know many others that use two computers use an interlock to make sure they
don't accidentially transmit on both radios at once.   I haven't done that
yet -- just have to be careful.   Good luck and thanks for all the contacts
in the various contests!

73
Gary, W0TM