[ct-user] Ethernet

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Ethernet
From: Stuparits, Jeff" <JStuparits@mobilnet.gte.com (Stuparits, Jeff)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:40:05 -0500

In recently working on the Ethernet system at NQ4I, I ran across a problem
that may be of interest to others working on replacing the CT RS-232 loop
with Ethernet.  When starting CT with the Ethernet Network enabled, CT would
hang as soon as the log entry screen popped up.  After many hours of head
scratching, I noticed that the Ethernet card manufacturer listed their
software interrupt range as at 96 -128.  NETTSR suggested 97 - 100.  (The
starting offset between the two was 1).  When I set the Ethernet card to 99
and NETTSR to 100, the Network worked perfectly.

Rick purchased the new ISA bus cards from Fry's Electronics in Los Angeles
for $9 each (includes BNC Tee), but I believe similar units are available
from vendors listing at http://www.pricewatch.com.  RG-58 cables were $4,
terminators $2.  For about $80 we equipped 6 station computers.

We plan on using Com 5, IRQ 10, and I/O address space of 320h for the
network.

Thanks to K1TTT for NETTSR !

Jeff W4DD
ex WB8HDD