[ct-user] 9.37 and pk232 under Win98

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] 9.37 and pk232 under Win98
From: Jack Trampler - N2JT" <n2jt@fast.net (Jack Trampler - N2JT)
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 09:52:50 -0500

Steve,

There is a simple solution.  I experienced the same problem with all recent
versions of CT (except the CTWIN beta) with both Win95/98 and a KAM+.  The
problem is caused by the OS and the fact that CT does not access the serial
port directly, but through Win95/98.  The solution is to disable Win95/98
control of the serial port.

Right click on "My Computer" and select Properties to bring up the System
Properties window.  Select the "Device Manager" tab.  Expand the "Ports (COM
& LPT)" branch and click on the com port that is connected to the PK-232.
Click on Properties.  At the bottom of the Com Port Properties "General"
tab, click and set a check mark in the "Disable in this hardware profile"
option.  Click "Okay" (it will take a minute or so to complete) and then
click the remaining "Okay".

You have now disabled Win95/98 control of the port and the program has
direct control of that port.  It should work okay.  Just remember to do the
reverse and enable the com port when you are finished with CT or any other
program that needs to access the port via Win95/98 won't be able to.

73,
Jack - N2JT
n2jt@fast.net