[ct-user] Kachina 505DSP2

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Kachina 505DSP2
From: Dick Wilder (K3DI)" <wilder@abs.net (Dick Wilder (K3DI))
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:57:01 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Ron Notarius wrote: (in part)

Author:  Bill Bennett N7DZ <WizardOfAz@cyberdude.com>  (in part)
> I am looking for comments, pointers to reviews, pointers to more appropriate
> email lists to ask in, good news/bad news, about the Kachina 505DSP2 computer
> controlled radio. I know about the May 98 QST review, but haven't found any
> others.    Bill N7DZ

I saw the Kachina unboxed and installed by John Ellis, NP2B, St Croix in
mid-February.   He tested it on 'phone.   My observations were
brief but I left with the following thoughts.

1.  I was surprised at all the capabilities. Such as playing with your
transmit audio  band pass -- just like adjusting the response of an
expensive stereo.  Also, there were many receiver selectivities -- maybe a
dozen or more.

2.  It was easy to get going.  Of course, we DID NOT read the manual
first.

3.  I did not operate it but I thought it would be more difficult to
keyboard or mouse/click then to grab knobs during the heat of battle.

My quick impression was that this would not be a contest radio but many
aspects of the capabilities would be essential in the super contest radio
of the future.

73, Dick Wilder, K3DI   wilder@clark.net
NP2S in ARRL CW.
If you QSL direct to NP2S CBA please include used US and DX stamps.
NP2S QSL requests via K3DI may be via CBA, email, or bureau/K3DI.