Re[3]: [ct-user] FW: CT with Ethernet

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: Re[3]: [ct-user] FW: CT with Ethernet
From: RNotarius@chester-engineers.com (Ron Notarius) (Ron Notarius)
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 07:47:09 -0400
     I didn't think such a simple question would stir up so much
     response!...

     For those who asked, the network in my house is entirely 10-Base2.
     The server is running 3 Ethernet flavors (802.2, 802.3, & Ethernet_II
     for TCP/IP) & DHCP, so IP isn't a problem.  My shack PC is running Win
     95, tho the 2nd machine is Win 3.1; I wasn't going to bother to
     upgrade it since it's only going to run CT and my dBase IV logging
     programs.

     Anyway, from the feedback, it sounds like CT's multi-user capability
     was designed as it's own peer-to-peer network using serial ports, and
     that it has never really been retro-fitted for a more traditional
     client/server system (& why should it, since how many screwballs run
     servers in their homes?).

     What this means to me is that my original thought of running CT 9 off
     the server -- that is, load the application from the server & store
     the databases there -- is probably going to be a bigger hassle than
     it's worth.  The good news is that I shouldn't have any major problems
     running it peer-to-peer regardless of the server.  (famous last words)

     Thanks for all the feedback.

     73, ron wn3vaw