[ct-user] Re: Bug in C2A.EXE?

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Re: Bug in C2A.EXE?
From: Rob Kennedy" <amtor@hotmail.com (Rob Kennedy)
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 23:52:18 -0500
Hi Jim,

I don't think there is a big rush to fix the big in C2A.EXE at least for
Logger users.  (But for users of other Logging programs it may be a bigger
priority)

I am glad that you will look into the bug and will try to fix it.  I will
post a message in the Logger reflector that you are looking into the bug and
will try to fix it (if Jim KH2D hasn't already beaten me to it).

For Logger users, one of the stop gap solutions is to edit the BAD.ADI file
and simply delete or Rename all the US State fields which contain VE
Province abbreviations.  At this time, Logger does NOT even track VE
Provinces.  (But clearly some users would like this feature added in one of
the newer releases of Logger).

But if an ADIF record contains a US state field with a VE PROVINCE
abbreviation, Logger refuses to import ANY part of the record.  This
prevents the Logger log file from becoming corrupted.  So if you want to
import any of the QSO's with Canadian stations into Logger, you must edit
the BAD.ADI file or NONE of the QSOs will be imported at all.

Another alternative is to use one of the Freeware CT to ADIF conversion
programs to properly convert the CT .BIN file to ADIF.  Logger will import
ADIF records which have Canadian Province abbreviations in the VE Province
field.  It just doesn't use the information in this field (at least at this
time).

Logger appears to do a very good job at rejecting records that do NOT
conform to the ADIF file specification.

But I suspect that there are many other Logging programs do NOT do a good
job at rejecting such records that do NOT conform to the ADIF specification.
(There are so many programs that will now import ADIF files!)  I suspect
that importing into one of these poorly written Logging programs a
"non-conforming" ADIF file which contain VE Provinces in the US state field
will cause a lot of problems and may even corrupt the Log file.
Furthermore, if the logging program tracks VE Provinces, it will likely
expect that ADIF records will have VE Province abbreviations in the VE
Province field.  (Why wouldn't it expect VE Provinces in the VE Province
Field??  That is what the ADIF specification states).

I believe it is even more important for users of other Logging programs that
do NOT do a good job at checking the validity of the ADIF file that the bug
in C2A.EXE be fixed.  You don't want C2A.EXE to be blamed for corrupting
someone's log file.

At least from my perspective, it does not look like it would be very
difficult to fix the bug in C2A.EXE.  If the abbreviation is BC, AB, ON etc
then copy that abbreviation to the VE Province field NOT the US state field
(since it clearly does not belong in the US state field).

I would like to add one little wrinkle.  There are two abbreviations for the
province of Quebec.  The old abbreviation PQ and the new abbreviation QC.
ADIF specifies the new abbreviation - QC.  I cannot recall whether CT still
uses the old abbreviation for Quebec or the new one.  IF CT still uses PQ,
then anytime C2A.EXE sees PQ in the .BIN file, it should copy QC (not PQ) to
the VE Province field of the ADIF file.

When you have the time, I strongly encourage you to fix the bug in C2A.EXE.
You don't want C2A.EXE to be blamed for corrupting someone's log file
(especially if the bug in C2A.EXE can be fixed without a lot of effort).

73's

Rob

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>