[ct-user] CT & Kenwood radio Polling

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] CT & Kenwood radio Polling
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 07:20:42 -0500
At 11:18 AM 11/11/00 -0000, Bob Naumann - N5NJ wrote:

>If it's a Kenwood rig, it's the radio that's not providing the data.
>The way the Kenwood appears to work is that it waits until the
>frequency is stable, then it sends it out.

>From my limited experience, it doesn't work quite that way.  There are
hypothetically two ways to get frequency data faster.  The external
software (e.g., CT) could be told to poll the transceiver more often,
sending it the FA and FB commands, which return the frequency of the A and
B VFOs.  Alternatively, sending the command AI2 at startup will cause the
radio to output changes in frequency and some other parameters "when they
change."

This is from the command summary in the TS-570 manual on the Kenwood web
site, and there are some key points missing -- for example, how quickly
does a given radio respond to frequency queries, and how quickly does the
radio, on its own, decide to report that the frequency has changed.  There
might be practical upper limits on how quickly a given radio will respond.

If anyone is interested in experimenting, because Kenwood uses a simple
ASCII command set you can use Hyperterminal to talk to the radio and see
how it responds.  You just set Hyperterminal to talk to the appropriate COM
port with the right parameters, and you and your radio can have a nice chat.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at