[ct-user] Problem with ComPort

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Problem with ComPort
From: Mike Walker <mike.walker@home.com> (Mike Walker)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 07:34:55 -0500
At 10:54 PM 11/21/00 -0800, Gary W. Skett wrote:
>Thank you Michael, but...like I said in my original message....
> >I use COMTSR3, tried different baud rates, different radio settings
> (IC735 or 781), changed addresses in the 706, loaded the program before
> and after Windows, just about everything I can think of... and no joy.
>
>In fact, I have tried every single radio and every single address and
>every single IRQ and every single time it doesn't work!
>
>Under Windows Com3 is assigned IRQ9 and Com4 another 2-digit IRQ and
>what's left over handles the USB ports and a variety of other
>devices.  Under DOS, Com1 & Com3 share IRQ4 and Com2 and 4 share
>IRQ3.  Both Com 1 & 2 are BIOS assigned to handle the mouse and the sound
>card and the USB ports don't function.

This is the problem.  You need to assign COM3 to something other than IRQ4.

>I've come to the conclusion that Com3 & Com4 will not function under
>DOS.  There are no "dip switches" to set, no separate "set-up" parameters
>outside Windows to access the two extra COM ports.

I have had 5 com ports running under DOS.  But, they all have to be unique
IRQ's.

>I will just have to swallow the rather large (Canadian) cost of that
>useless, archaic DOS CT program for something more up-to-date and Windows
>98 compatible...

We attempted to run Writelog (Windows program) and had a power
failure.  Lost the entire log and couldn't reboot the computer.  For this
purpose we will stay with DOS as it is more stable.

>I have absolutely no other problem with anything else in the entire Ham
>Shack as far as computer/radio/software goes....just the ^%$#@! CT
>software, and I had to pay dearly for it too!
>
>Thanks anyway, but I think I'll look for another contest logging program
>instead...something a lot more up-to-date.
>
>DOS is DEAD CT!  Get with the program!  Windows ME/2000 or Linux is "in!"

You have other options other than CT.  Sounds like you have made your
decision.  Most of the Windows programs fall apart when it comes to real
time CW sending.

73 ... Mike