[ct-user] Administrative: formatted mail and attachments

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Administrative: formatted mail and attachments
From: Alan C. Zack" <k6acz@earthlink.net (Alan C. Zack)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:19:58 -0800
Jim:
I am using Netscape Communicator 4.76.  Here is the setting I
use:
MAIL & NEWSGROUPS > MESSAGES > SEND MESSAGES THAT USE 8 BIT
CHARACTERS >
   AS IS: Checked, USING MIME ENCODING: Not checked.

Also to look at: MAIL & NEWSGROUPS > FORMATTING >
   USE HTML TO COMPOSE MESSAGE: Not Checked
   USE PLAIN TEXT TO COMPOSE MESSAGE: Checked

This might be helpful to those using Netscape version 4.7X
73

Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:

> Just as a reminder, the CT-USER reflector will only accept messages that
> are sent in plain ASCII text without attachments.  Maybe people have their
> E-mail clients set to send formatted mail (Microsoft Outlook calls these
> "alternative views").  Here is how to set Outlook and Netscape to send
> plain text:
>
>      * To check/change the setting in Outlook/Outlook Express:
>
>        Select the menus Tools, then Options.  Select the Send tab.
>        Select 'Plain Text'.
>
>      * To check/change the setting in Netscape Communicator:
>
>        Select the menus Edit, then Preferences.  Under 'Mail & Groups',
>        select Messages.  Remove the check from 'By default, send HTML
>        messages'.
>
> If your E-mail client attaches virtual business cards, make sure these are
> turned off, since they will be detected as an attachment.
>
> The list management software rejects all attachments and other non-text
> postings and forwards them to the list owner (me).  I'll just end up
> sending the message back to you so you can resend it as plain text - some
> of the "formatting" so badly mangles the plain text that I just won't spend
> the time fixing it by hand.
>
> Thanks for your cooperation.
>
> 73 - Jim AD1C
>
> --