[ct-user] Ideosycncrasy of Ten-Tec Omni VI+

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Ideosycncrasy of Ten-Tec Omni VI+
From: John Scott <jascott@ix.netcom.com> (John Scott)
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 18:23:05 -0500
I had noticed some "unusual" attributes of the Ten-Tec Omni VI+ when
connected to CT, but did not really take the time to understand them
until today.  The Omni VI+ allows you to control the radio/computer
interface by selecting whether to have Continuous Data Echo (CDE) on or
off.  This selection is performed by choosing
menu 2 after holding the "lock" button until "CHOOSE" is shown on the
frequency
display.  If CDE=ON is selected, CDE will report changes in the
radio via the DB-25 serial connector on the radio; if off, apparently
nothing is reported.

The difference also apparently affects the direction of data flow
between the radio and computer.

If CDE is ON:  Band changes initiated on the radio will effect a band
change in the
                        display on CT.

                        Typing a frequency on the callsign line of CT
will not change the
                        frequency of the radio.

If CDE is OFF: Band changes using the front panel of the radio will do
nothing to the
                        band setting on CT's display.

                        Typing a frequency on the callsign line of CT,
WILL change the
                        frequency of the radio as well as changing the
band on the CT
                        display if the frequency change results in a
band change.

So, one must pick yer "druthers" when contesting.  If operating
"assisted" and wishing to search and pounce, one would probably prefer
CDE to be OFF.  Then
typing the spotted frequency on the callsign line will retune the radio
to the frequency, change the CT band and permit a call.  If band changes
are preferred using the radio's front panel buttons, then use CDE as ON.

I have noticed if CDE is OFF, and one uses the front panel radio buttons
to change bands, the synchonization between CT and the Radio can be
lost.  In a contest such as the ARRL 10 meter contest this weekend where
the band will not change, perhaps having CDE in the ON mode is
preferred.

Perhaps I am the only one who's just caught on to this ideosyncrasy of
the Omni VI+.  If anyone is aware a different one, I'd be interested in
hearing of it.

                --John Scott,  K8YC