[ct-user] Is there a RES file standard???

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Is there a RES file standard???
From: John Scott <jascott@ix.netcom.com> (John Scott)
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 12:16:07 -0500
I've been wrestling with a problem to help a friend translate a BIN file
to a RES file for inputting into his logging program.  He used an older
version of CT (9.26?) for the contest and used his old B2R9.EXE
program.  As most know, there was a
change to the date format in CT release 9.34, and along with that change
a new B2R9 program was produced.

When I translate the original BIN file with the old and new B2R9
versions, it appears an additional blank character is inserted somewhere
between the UTC and the QSO Number in the newer B2R9, shifting all
remaining fields one character to the right.  (The date using the old
B2R9 is screwed up for the year 2000 and has ":0" for the "00" upon
translating to a RES, but that's another story.)

I took the original BIN and ran it into my CT version 9.53 and received
the expected advisory message that the dates had been translated okay
from the older BIN format.  I then saved the newly formated BIN and ran
it through the new B2R9 which seems to produce a file of the same format
as the original BIN run through the new B2R9.  The logging program
importing the RES file hangs because the format has changed apparently
because of the field shifts.

THE $64,0000 QUESTION:

What is the standard format for RES files, where is it documented, and
who defines the standard?

If a definitive answer is unavailable, I'll cease calling a RES file a
standard file format.

                     --John Scott,   K8YC