[ct-user] Never enough com ports

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Never enough com ports
From: wc4h@itis.net (Carl - WC4H)
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:17:33 -0500
The network card does not use a com port.

There is a HotSync cradle that uses the USB port.  You can get that one, if
so inclined, and free up a com port.

Sounds like you may have an external modem.  An internal modem will use a
com port but most modern ones will use a port that you do not have.  That
is, if you already have COM 1 and COM 2, the modem will go to COM 4.

My PC acutally has one com port.  I use LPT1 port for CW / voice keyer
control and COM1 for radio control.  I can switch COM 1 for RTTY if desired
then I also lose the radio control.

There are COM port boards or boxes that you can buy.  For example, you can
get a box that connects to a USB port to give you 2 or 4 COM ports extra.

Only you know if you have enough COM ports.

73
Carl