[ct-user] Urgent help needed!

To: <ct-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [ct-user] Urgent help needed!
From: n0nb@networksplus.net (Nate Bargmann)
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 20:24:21 -0500
* Cahaba Internet <cahaba@cahaba.net> [2002 Jun 23 16:27 -0500]:
> The software created NEW.BIN, saved the old file as BIN.OLD and removed the
> previous
> FD2002.BIN file (!)

Backups.  ;-)

> ... or anyone willing to help us with this?

If you are lucky, the original FD2002.BIN file may still be intact on
the disk, provided too many new files haven't been written.  An older
copy of Norton undelete or the undelete in DOS 5.0 or later should give
an idea if recovery is possible and he may be able to recover the file.

Outside of that, I've not messed with the conversion tools or the
rmdupes to know if other recovery may be possible.

RE: Dupes.

I guess this will bring up the debate on what to do with dupes.
IMHO, dupes are only a problem if not flagged so that they are
accidentally counted when sending in the log.  OTOH, I, and others,
think the dupes should remain.  While the contact may be a dupe for one
op, it may be a point QSO for the other op as on the first QSO the call
may have been busted.  Most ops I've heard will mention if the QSO is
shown as a dupe and the stations can work out the issue at that time.
At other times there may have been reason for why one station thought
the other was worked, logged it, and later the logged station contacts
the first.  A refusal on the part of the first station to "work a dupe"
seems silly to me as both ops will lose at least one QSO and the first
station may lose more at log checking time.

My preference is to resolve the dupe with the station and failing that,
work them as the "dupe" may in fact be the legitimate QSO.

> Thanks in advance,

Good luck!

73, de Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and