Re: [ct-user] CW keying

To: k1ep.list@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [ct-user] CW keying
From: Hank Kohl K8DD <k8dd@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:09:43 -0500
Ed K1EP wrote:
> At 12/14/2005 04:26 PM, K4FJ@aol.com wrote:
>
>> In the 10M contest I noticed my cw seemed choppy (light weighting) and I am
>> curious why.  I don't recall this before.  I am using the latest  CTWin, Win
>> 98SE, and the computer is a P2/350 with little else running, if  anything.
>> did not use rig control or packet--CT was just logging and  providing CW
>> directly to the FT-1000D via a W1GEE interface.
>>
>> I have asked a few locals if they noticed it, but I know it was  there.
>>
>> This AM, I tried my WriteLog, using the same computer, and the W5XD Keyer
>> and keying was great.
>>

> You apparently are comparing apples to oranges.  I am not familiar with the
> W5XD or W1GEE keyers, but since CTWin doesn't support external keyers and WL
> doesn't support LPT keying (I believe) you are talking about two different
> things.  Keying via the LPT port under windows will produce choppy CW unless
> your processor speed is fast and nothing else is running.  WL doesn't send CW
> directly, it sends code to a keyer that produces the CW.  Each character will
> be perfectly formed that way, although there might be delays between
> characters, if they aren't send to the keyer at the right time.
True, you have apples & oranges if WLog is running with the W5XD keyer
or the K1EL WinKeyer ....
However W5XD's program will send via the parallel port, although it will
not support a paddle via the parallel port.
I have not noticed any problem with CTWin's sending using 98SE or Win2K
And haven't seen any problems with WLog's sending from the LPT port
either - just don't like that program!
73    Hank    K8DD