[na-user] Two-radio switchbox

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Two-radio switchbox
From: k8cc@ix.netcom.com (k8cc@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 16:29:57 -0600 (CST)
>On Tue, 4 Nov 1997 k4ab@nerak.companet.net wrote:
>
>It would be great for DATOM to offer the K8CC 2-radio switch box for sale.
>Sure, it's an easy circuit, but I don't have the time to collect the
>parts, then assemble the thing.  But, I CAN write a check!

Here is the scoop on the two-radio switchbox.

The schematic is exactly as shown in Appendix E of the latest NA manuals.
The circuit is not complicated or expensive, and all of the parts can be had
from Digi-Key, or other sources.  We did a PC board layout, and had five
prototype
boards made.  I built two boxes, one for my station and one for W4AN to prove
out the concept, explore RFI susceptability, etc.  The boxes work fine.

The experiment also proved that I did not want to get into business building
these
boxes on any great scale.  With the current design, the PC board does all of the
really complex wiring (getting the various audio and keying paths correct), but
all of
the mic/keying/headphone connectors have to be handwired to the PC board.
This is not bad to do once - its about two evenings of casual work.  However,
doing
a couple dozen would drive me nuts.

What we had in mind was a semi-kit for the box.  A case, PC board, all the
parts for
the board, with good directions.  The box could come pre-punched for mounting
the
PC board with the cutout for the DB-25 connector.  The user would provide
whatever
connectors they prefer to interface the box with their station.

Is there interest in this?  I've had a couple inquiries, and I apologize for
leaving a few
of you folks hanging prior to SS CW.   If there is enough interest, Tom and I
will take
a serious look at what can be done.  Send me an e-mail, and indicate your
interest.

73,

Dave Pruett, K8CC                         DATOM Engineering
2727 Harris Rd, Ypsilanti, MI 48198       DATOM@contesting.com
k8cc@ix.netcom.com                        http://www.contesting.com/datom