[na-user] Missing QSO's in Cabrillo file

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Missing QSO's in Cabrillo file
From: Ron Wetjen <wd4ahz@gte.net> (Ron Wetjen)
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 14:23:49 +0000
Have been working on the FQP logs ... putting paper logs into NA, and
sending the .log and .sum files via e-mail to our log checker.

Upon receiving the logs, he's discovered some logs end up missing
QSO's.  In trying to figure out what's going on, I've noticed (depending
on which word processing program I'm using) the .log and .sum files
contain what look like square box characters, which seem to be used as
spaces.

When I edit these "boxes" out, the log data seems to go through intact
... and when I leave the "boxes" in the log, QSO's seem to be getting
dropped.

Again, depending what I'm using to view the logs with, I'm either
getting something like this:

START-OF-LOG: 2.0
CONTEST: FL-QSO-PARTY
CALLSIGN: WB4NJV
OPERATORS: K8DSS, WD4AHZ
CATEGORY: ALL LOW MIXED
CLAIMED-SCORE: 2992
CLUB: Sarasota Emergency Radio Club
SOAPBOX:
SOAPBOX:
NAME: Ron Wetjen
ADDRESS: 5362 Castleman Drive
ADDRESS: Sarasota, FL 34232

or like this

START-OF-LOG: 2.0
CONTEST: FL-QSO-PARTY
CALLSIGN: WB4NJV
OPERATORS: K8DSS, WD4AHZ
CATEGORY: ALL LOW MIXED
CLAIMED-SCORE: 2992
CLUB: Sarasota Emergency Radio Club
SOAPBOX: SOAPBOX: NAME: Ron Wetjen
ADDRESS: 5362 Castleman Drive
ADDRESS: Sarasota, FL 34232

(There are many of those "box" characters in the "soapbox" area, which
either show up, or have no affect, as in the example above.)

It seems some programs may handle these characters one way, while other
programs handle them differently.

My main concern is, are there legitimate QSO's being lost from other
contest logs, because of this.  The number of QSO's ending up missing,
can range from 2 or 3 to over half the log (granted, the log was only 23
QSO's ... but only 8 made it to the log checker!)

Very strange.

Ron

--
One of the W1AW/4 Crew - IARU/WRTC-2000  July 8-9, 2000

Web Design - http://www.rwwebcreations.com
WD4AHZ Homepage - http://www.qsl.net/wd4ahz
Sarasota Emergency Radio Club - http://www.qsl.net/serc
Florida Contest Group - http://www.qsl.net/fcg