[NA-User] Running NA 1057 in Windows 2000 Pro.

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [NA-User] Running NA 1057 in Windows 2000 Pro.
From: k8cc@comcast.net (David A. Pruett)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 17:11:26 -0500
At 03:55 PM 12/20/02 -0500, KG8GW@aol.com wrote:
>I have read many of the archive messages about the CW sounding flakey (K5IID)
>when trying to run NA in Windows 2000, XP etc.  I am experiencing the same
>situation.
>
>I note in the keyer set up that paddle sidetone and message sidetone are
>locked on and cannot be changed.  Has anyone else experienced this situation.

When you say "locked on and cannot be changed", can you at least deselect
the options on the screen (i.e., the "*" disappears next to the
option)?  Are you exiting the control panel with Ctrl-Enter, which is
required to make the selections "take"?

>My real question is can NA, including rig keying be successfully run in
>Windows 2000?  Any help will be appreciated .

I had NT 4.0 on my main non-radio computer for four years and was never
able to get even rational-sounding CW from it.  The note from Jim/AD1C was
right on point.  I don't think you'll have much luck running under any of
these multitasking OS's (NT4.0/Win2000/Pro, etc.)  I don't think this is
restricted to DOS programs only - I'll bet any of the Windows loggers can't
send decent CW either without an outboard keyer connected to a COM port.

I had my NT 4.0 machine dual-booted  with DOS 6.22 so that I could do NA
development on it.  This works perfectly.  However, I eventually migrated
to developing on either the main shack computer (running DOS 6.22) or my
Dell laptop (Win95 booted to the command line).  The latter, BTW, works
perfectly for running any DOS application I could find (even K6STI's RITTY
for RTTY operation) yet you can still so to the Windows GUI if you
wanted.  Win98 is equally useful.  Too bad the later Windoze versions don't
seem to be capable of this.

Dave/K8CC