[RFI] LED Traffic Light RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] LED Traffic Light RFI
From: ka5s@earthlink.net (Cortland Richmond)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:33:34 -0700
Bill,

I think I remember this subject being discussed in another venue,
possibly on YahooGroups. In that case, if I recall correctly, the
noise was evidently coming from a switching power supply providing
low-voltage for LED lamps.

It does not need mentioning that harmful interference requires
correction. I would not be surprised, however, to learn the power
supplies used in the lights were NOT in  compliance, the manufacturer
having evaded that by reliance on the utility exemption Part 15
provides. However, that exemption does not apply to equipment located
outside of a utility's facility and harmful interference in any event
voids it.

I may take a look at a few lights around here (Sonoma County,CA) with a
receiver or a spectrum analyzer to see what's coming from them.  I've GOT
time;
no one is hiring EMI engineers just now (rueful grin).

Cortland

William G. McDowell <k4cia@mindspring.com> wrote"