[RFI] LED Traffic Light RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] LED Traffic Light RFI
From: eedwards@oppd.com (EDWARDS, EDDIE J)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 14:37:44 -0500
YES!  I posted a similar question here last Dec.  We started having problems
with these LED lights in Omaha, NE last year, and the traffic engineer laughed
at first when I called to let them know about it since I only knew about QRM
to/from VHF ham bands (and possibly our company's pagers on VHF as well).  We
also had reports from hams that they could control the left turn signal using 2
meters!  No need to wait to turn, just key up and GO!

Then when the city's contractor for radio systems (local mobilecom shop) called
to tell them about it, they got real serious since they were getting it on the
fire & sheriff VHF freqs as well.

They found that certain mfr's switching power supplies are noise junk
generating broadband noise.  I don't remember the mfr's name, but only one of
them was bad I think so they switched out to the other brand.  If you need
specific names, I can call our traffic engr here and ask.

73,
de ed -K0iL
Ed Edwards, Communications Engineer
2-Way & Paging Systems