[RFI] 160 Meter RFI Help Needed

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 160 Meter RFI Help Needed
From: k6mhe at mendolink.com (Dan Richardson)
Date: Sun Jan 26 16:55:13 2003
At 03:34 PM 1/26/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>The 160 meter sloper is getting into the two control panels on my home
>security system.  Anything over about 30 watts causes the "beep" in the two
>panels to "beep."  You should hear CW.  I am guessing and a friend is telling
>me that the RF is coming down the outside of one of my pieces of
>coax??????????

You didn't mention if you were experiencing any problems with your other
electronic equipment too. Assuming you aren't then I would zero in on those
panels. Which then brings up another question. Are you using a wireless or
hard wired system? If wireless then check out the frequencies those sensors
and panel are using to communicate. It could be just plain overloading the
panel's receiver.

If you are using a hard wired system I would suggest bypassing all wires
coming into the panel. With all the various sensors spread throughout the
house you've got a lot of wire picking up the RF. At first I would just try
0.01 capacitors on all leads. If that didn't do the trick I would add
ferrite beads. Fortunately, most alarm cable wires are #20 and thusly you
can get by with a reasonable cost.

Good Luck

Danny
K6MHE

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.