[RFI] 160 Meter RFI Help Needed

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 160 Meter RFI Help Needed
From: n0tt1 at juno.com (n0tt1@juno.com)
Date: Sun Jan 26 22:52:52 2003
Hi Steve,

> The 160 meter sloper is getting into the two control panels on my
> home
> security system.  Anything over about 30 watts causes the "beep" in
> the two
> panels to "beep

The alarm circuit wiring is picking up the transmitted signal just
like a receiving antenna.  A lot of those kinds of problems
can be cured on 160m by wrapping several turns of the alarm
cable on a type 73 torroid if there is enough slack cable to do that.
Otherwise you might try to find one or more type 73 mix snap-on
RFI chokes.  Another good RFI cure is to install by-pass capacitors
on all the alarm box leads, right where they attach to the box.
Try some .01 or even .1ufd disk ceramic capacitors.  A combination
of the two methods may be needed.

If your alarm system is "wireless", then you
might want to contact the manufacturer to see if there is a cure; but
read the FCC statement in your alarm manual first....the part
about "...must not cause interferrence and must accept
interferrence..."

73,
Charlie, N0TT

Only $9.95 per month!