[RFI] high noise level

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] high noise level
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:09:13 +0000
Paul,

1/4 mi. away from power lines may be close enough to pick up corona noise, which sounds more like hash. corona is more likely to come from high voltage lines. In the u.s., distribution lines in a town would not be HV and would therefore not likely produce corona and would instead generate the pulse type noise more commonly associated with ac line noise. take a look at the lines -- HV will not have direct service lines to customers.

If it comes and goes it may be wx related (temperature, rain) since outdoor condx. can affect arcing.
If your quad direction does not affect noise level you are probably getting it on an undesirable path (common mode) and as Tom Rauch says the baluns and grounding may help. I'll second killing the a.c. to your house--that's the first thing to do. Run your rig off a car battery and kill all the power to your house and see if you still get the noise. If you still get it, it has to be outside somewhere. If you don't, then you have it made--it's something inside and you can control it. All you have to do is turn things off and on, wiggle wires and generally mess with your electrical items until you find it.

You can locate power line arcing outside by using a VHF AM receiver (one that receives aircraft communications for example--some ham HTs do that) and a hand-held directional antenna such as a 4 or 5 element yagi. Some practical advice: This is not for the shy--walking around my town wearing headphones and waving a yagi around (especially at night) got me the fisheye from the local police but it also got a neighbor interested in ham radio and he's licensed now : )

73 & GL
Rob Atkinson
K5UJ
St. Charles Illinois