RE: [RFI] Formal RFI complaint to the FCC

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [RFI] Formal RFI complaint to the FCC
From: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 21:24:09 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:03:57 -0500, "Hare,Ed, W1RFI" wrote:

> As a "harmful interference" complaint, the FCC probably won't have a lot of
> sympathy.  A ham that owns a Part 15 device that interferes with his or her
> own
> station is able to control the use of the Part 15 device.

One of the things people are always told in regards to RFI/TVI is to
"keep your own home clean".  I've tried for almost a year to eliminate the
TVI my TV receives on 40 and 80 meters with as little as 10W output
into a dipole that was about 30 feet away.  The reason for keeping your
own TV clean is so that if neighbors complain you can show them that it
must be their TV since yours doesn't have a problem.  Now, if the FCC's
viewpoint of interference is that if the problem is in the ham's home then
the ham must tolerate it or adjust his viewing habits to accommodate
his amateur operations doesn't seem to match up too well with
the "keep your own home clean" viewpoint.  Ed, is the statement you
made above only valid when the TV is interfering with the ham or does
it also include interference TO a TV from the ham's own transmissions?

It really ticks me off that nobody will do anything about a TV that can't
even tolerate a 10W signal from 30 feet away or a TV that puts out S9
noise to an antenna 30 feet away.  I asked the FCC for assistance and
was told (in not so many words)...too bad.  I called the TV manufacturer
who gave me the standard "we comply with FCC regulations" story about
3 times.  I called 4 or 5 TV repair shops and none of them were willing
to even come out and look at the problem.  To make matters worse, even
if I wanted to replace the tv I wouldn't know what TV to buy since
all tv's are "legal" although some are less susceptible to TVI than others.
How do you know in advance?  I know I'm preaching to the choir, but is
there any feasible solution?

Now for my second question.  Suppose my neighbor's TV which is about
50 feet away generates S7 or S8 noise.  Will the FCC do anything about
that?  To go one step further...if BPL is implemented (as is obviously
planned in Manassas Va) will the FCC actually do anything if a ham
complains that it is causing harmful interference to their amateur station?