Re: [RFI] My power line noise problems, revisited (Warning, thisislong!)

To: <CliffHazen@aol.com>, <wb3fsr@comcast.net>, <john@radiophile.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] My power line noise problems, revisited (Warning, thisislong!) No...
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 23:33:39 -0500
I think we are still talking about the first post.

I think a logical first step would be to locate the problems, since the
utility seems to be trying, and see if they can fix the problems.

What that post told me is there are some misconceptions of what actually
causes problems, and how hopeless it is. It is only hopeless if the system
is installed incorrectly and they won't correct the installation or hardware
problems. In this case they are trying, it just sounds like they don't know
what causses problems and how to look for it.

I'd buy the book about tracking RFI someone mentioned.

I think when the smoke clears you'll find about 90% of the problems are
slack spans allowing bell insulators to hang loosly and have pins corrode
and arc, or other loose hardware or metal in the strong electric field area
near the wires (like brackets) arcing. Sometimes the tie wires that secure
the primary to knob insulators don't have a solid contact with the primary
and arc. Sometimes they drill holes through poles and have two isolated
pieces of metal near the primary in losses contact and arcing.

Generally a bad lightning arrestor or punctured insulator fails within a few
years. This almost has to be sloppy installation. A walk around the area
with a 50MHz AM radio and a sledge hammer to "tap" poles would tell you more
than a year with a ultrasonic detector.

73 Tom