Re: [RFI] Response to news FCC okays BPL proposal

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Response to news FCC okays BPL proposal
From: "N6KJ" <kelly@thejohnsons.ws>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:50:55 -0800 (PST)
I somewhat agree with you, Cortland.  The BPL proponents did not gain seem to
gain ground here.  Most hams are unhappy because hams didn't make
a touchdown here and squash BPL completely.  It will take time to determine
how bad this ruling really is.  The unfortunate thing is that the camel now
has his nose under the tent.

I have one question for the FCC and the BPL proponents.  If interference
isn't a big issue, then why did they intentionally avoid the AM broadcast
band?  I believe we all know the answer.  It is because they know it will
interfere and they knew BPL wouldn't fly if they interfered with the AM
broadcast band.  AM is far more ubiquitous than any other HF user.

My biggest concerns are:
1) Skywave propagation.  Nobody has figured out yet how much this will raise
the ambient noise floor all across the country/globe.  I may be able to move
somewhere that isn't serviced by BPL, but I can't get away from skywave
propagation of BPL hash.  How does the FCC justify deploying this without
knowing how it will affect the ambient noise floor all over the globe.  Aren't
there international treaties covering such things?
2) Enforcement of interference prohibitions.  How can the FCC possibly believe
they can enforce this?  It often takes years to fix power line noise.  Why
do they think this will be any better?

I think the biggest complainers about BPL are hams.  As a result, if I were
in the BPL business the first thing I would do is notch out all of the HF
ham bands.  It would be cheaper than spot filtering whenever there's a
complaint.  That won't help other HF users, but it will probably shut up
the biggest source of interference complaints.