RE: [RFI] Response to news FCC okays BPL proposal

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] Response to news FCC okays BPL proposal
From: Ed -K0iL <eedwards@tconl.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:52:07 -0600
As someone who works for an electric utility, and in the telecomm
department which handles Radio Interference calls for powerline noise, it
would seem that utilities would expect a flood of such calls because hams
are the PRIMARY source of RFI complaints today.  Used to be hams were the
minority of complaints over 20 years ago.  TVI was primary then.  Now it's
the other way around thanks to cable & Sat TV.  The only thing that's
change is the TVI complaints went away making RI a part-time job for just
one guy now.

But what you say is probably true in another part of my company where they
put a mechanical engineer with an MBA (with no telecom experience) in
charge of a "Telecommunications Project" to look into BPL and other
wireless options.  Need I say more?  I sure hope other utilities are going
about it a little different--and it sounds like some are (like in NC).

73,
 de ed -K0iL