Re: [RFI] Quiet Shack PC Systems?

To: "Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Quiet Shack PC Systems?
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:32:36 -0500
> Tom's station is exactly how things *ought* to be. He has organized a
> common entry point where all his feedline grounds and the mains ground
> are connected together. Since the two ground conductors enter the
> building at the same point and at the same RF potential, there will be
> no significant potential difference when they arrive in the shack. Tom's
> excellent ground management also means he has very few problems due to
> "RF in the shack".

I have zero problems with RF in the shack because my antennas are fed
correctly and are a reasonable distance away. RF in the shack does not come
from bad shack grounds, it comes from poor antenna feed systems or an
antenna right over the shack. It also is not cured by grounds in the shack,
it is only patched up by shack grounds.

Unless we bring a single wire feeder into the shack, none of us should need
a shack RF ground.  A common point for equipment..yes. A low-frequency
safety ground..yes. An RF ground.. no. If you need one, something is wrong
with your gear or the antenna systems you use.

Almost anyone can use a ground like mine. This is an old house, and I did
not prewire it. The existing service panel is 30 feet from my radios, and
that feeds part of my gear. My 240/120 high load line comes from a different
power and distribution panel 100 feet or so away.

I use ONLY the outlets near the antenna cable entrance, and make that a
common point. My new 240/120 lines come to that point, and I also use the
existing lines in the original house but ONLY from the outlets (both 120 and
240) very near that point.

All 120/240 distribution in this room comes from that common point and runs
along under my benches, and I ignore all the other wall outlets totally. I
have bulkhead feedthroughs under the bench that are grounded to utility
grounds, and the telco lines come out of wall jacks and go to that point for
distribution. This can be done in any situation.

The only part that can't be done everywhere is the stuff outside, since that
would vary with the dwelling.

Inside the shack, it is very easy to establish a common "ground" point for
all power lines, telephone, radio equipment, computer gear, and feedlines.
You should have one disconnect point in the room anyway.

73 Tom