[Top] [All Lists]

Re: [RFI] 120v halogen lights

To: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-Online.Net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 120v halogen lights
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 09:35:33 -0400
List-post: <mailto:rfi@contesting.com>
At 09:08 AM 4/4/04, Jim wrote:
Neighbor uses something he calls "puck lights" for his bar area.  under the
cabinets in the back bar and in the front bar too.  He spaces them 18 to 24
inches apart.  I don't know how much light you need but these are small and
easily wired.  Available at Home Depot if not many places.  A Google search
for "puck lights" comes up with many hits and the first one shows many

These are the ones that, in their low-voltage form, typically use a small encapsulated "electronic transformer" and have been widely reported to cause extreme electrical noise.

I had some GE brand steel cabinet halogens (now apparently sold as "Good Earth" brand in Lowe's) that were reasonably quiet RF-wise, but they had repeated failures in the "transformer" and other internal areas, perhaps because of heat. My last one of 7 different units just died.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
is back, at www.pvrc.org

RFI mailing list

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>