Re: [RFI] 120v halogen lights

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] 120v halogen lights
From: Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 12:58:38 -0400
OK, I've heard this said before. But inquiring minds want to know: why should DC be worse than AC for lifetime in lighting applications?

I seem to recall it was an issue for vacuum tube filaments, presumably because having a DC gradient on the filament led to unequal concentration of emission on the filament. (On the other hand, AC supplies could lead to hum.) But in a lighting situation?

I can think of a couple reasons why DC might be better: no AC-induced vibration, unity peak to average power, etc.

73 - Martin, AA6E

Subject: Re: [RFI] 120v halogen lights From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com> Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:23:22 -0400 To: <rfi@contesting.com>, "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>

I assume that there is no reason why any real transformer that delivers 12.6vac couldn't be used -- perhaps even an AC wall wart.

That's right, as long as it is AC. If you run DC bulb life is shorter.

73 Tom