Re: [RFI] BPL a major topic at Upcoming UTC Annual Meeting

To: <wrt@dslextreme.com>, <kd4e@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] BPL a major topic at Upcoming UTC Annual Meeting
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 07:36:25 -0400
> Of course it does.  The original post said nothing at all about a
> coordinated demonstration of interference, it just said fire up the kw
> rigs, blast away and see if it disrupts their communications (I am
> paraphrasing, of course).
>
> What do you call that if not "jamming"?

If the purpose is to disrupt communications it is called intentional or
malicious interference. If the interference is incidental to legal use of a
legally and properly operated licensed service and causes a problem to an
unlicensed device, tough cookies for them.

The last thing we need is to run around stating people should intentionally
locate and bother systems. Even if it isn't illegal or can't be proven
illegal, there are such things as appearances. Since anyone can read
anything, I hope we all settle down and not say things that make us look
like trouble makers instead of victims.

We need to win public support by showing common sense.

I'd like to see BPL work without problems, but they need to solve the egress
of harmful signals. If I want to operate my mobile near BPL or if it is
installed near me, I'm not going to modify how I operate. If I bother them,
too bad. I regret that, but it's there problem. If they bother me, I'll do
everything legally possible to have it removed.

73 Tom