Re: [RFI] TV RFI

To: sean@k8khz.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] TV RFI
From: <dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:59:31 -0500

Sean,

A few more details might be helpful to us trying to help you.

First, what are the 3 different antennas and how are they situated relative
to the Emerson TV?  For example, do wire antennas pass right over the part
of the house is which the TV is located?  What is the approximate height of
the antennas?  Are any antennas fed with ladder line or open wire feeders?

What have you tried that didn't work?  Even though you say "old Emerson", I
am assuming it is a solid state, rather than tube-type, set.  Do you happen
to know if the AC power circuits in your living room (where the TV is
located) share a circuit with your ham shack?

The fact that the set has problems even with no antenna connection leads
one to suspect RF via the power line.  Unless your living room lights are
actually dimming, you are getting very severe interference to that set.
Does it have any conenctions at all other than antenna and AC power?  For
example, is there a VCR, computer, or video game attached?

Best luck on your troubleshooting.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

                      Sean Fleming

                      <sean@k8khz.com>         To:       rfi@contesting.com

                      Sent by:                 cc:

                      rfi-bounces@conte        Subject:  [RFI] TV RFI

                      sting.com

                      06/07/2004 11:46

                      AM

Hello to all in the group.
I am Sean K8KHZ. I am using 100W on 3 different antennas that are all out
in my backyard. Though the trouble I am experienceing I have tried to fix
myself without any luck at all. I have a tv in my living room. It is an old
emerson. When transmitting especially on 40M and sometimes on other bands
the brightness of the TV will dim to dark and light as if there is a power
strain on the the AC in the home kind of like the lights dimming also in
the home. I wonder if this is RFI or maybe an electrical trouble.
This even happens without the tv being  hooked up to any antenna at all.

Sean

check out my website @ http://www.k8khz.com

Add me to your instant messenger K8KHZ.