Re: [RFI] turnabout is fair play??

To: Rfi <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] turnabout is fair play??
From: Zach White <zwhite-rfi@darkstar.frop.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:02:05 +0000

On Aug 13, 2004, at 3:05 PM, David Robbins K1TTT wrote:

Article in August 2004 "Computer" magazine article from the IEEE
Computer Society talks about the possibility of using Ethernet cables to
power remote devices. Would this be PBL? Power over Broadband Lines???

David,

This is Power Over Ethernet (PoE) and the IEEE has already formalized the specification as IEEE 802.3af. There are many community wireless and hot spot providers who use this to place their APs near outdoor antennas so as to minimize loss. You can also find lots of 802.11[abc] devices that have PoE support built in, and custom adaptors for retrofitting devices that do not have this support.

The IEEE specification can be found at http://www.ieee802.org/3/af/index.html .

Although I did find your ironic comment about power over broadband lines pretty funny, I thought others might find the official specs interesting.

-Zach